Saturday, June 9, 2012

ANOTHER BATTLE FOR GOD AND COUNTRY

By Eddie Alinea

LAS VEGAS – Newly anointed “WBO Pound-for-Pound Best of the Decade” Manny Pacquiao is dedicating the fight against undefeated challenger Timothy Bradley to his country and the Filipino people.

“Once again, I would like to dedicate this fight to our beautiful and beloved Philippines,” Pacquiao said in Tagalog as he emerged from a Bible study session held in a suite adjacent to his room at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay.

“Please tell our countrymen, wherever they are, that, like before, this fight is for them,” the 33-year-old, who only two days ago was recipient of a diamond ring from WBO as its pound-for-pound best of the decade, said.

“That besides God, I know that even if we’re thousands of miles apart, and when I’m atop the ring, they are here rooting for me in spirit so I can win,” he said. “Same with me, kahit na ako nandito, sila pa rin ang nasaisip ko na sana ay nasa mabuti silang kalagayang lahat.”

“Tell them that when I and my team return home, I remain as world champion because they serve as my inspiration. Bukod sa Panginoon, sila ang inspirayson ko para gawin ang lahat at manalo,” he vowed.

Pacquiao’s preparation that started with high altitude training in Baguio City, moved to Los Angeles then here last Tuesday, ended with a five-lap roadwork at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas oval, stressing exercises and lightly working the mitts at the Top Rank gym.

“Okay na. Wala ng problema whatsoever,” Pacquiao quipped. “Handang-handa na tayo sa laban.”

“That completed our good training camp,” chief trainer Freddie Roach said. “AS I have been saying,that was one of the best camp we had and I believe we succeeded in attaining what we wanted to achieve.”

“We just also completed our game plan which is already set in place as early as when we were at Wild Card and I believe, too, that Manny is happy with the results as well as members of the coaching staff.”

“Manny’s in tip-top shape, I haven’t seen him as happy in training as now,” Roach said.

“And if Manny is happy, you already know what will happen,” he said.

Asked what his game plan is, Roach just smiled and just, “We prepared an offensive plan and a defensive plan and that include everything Bradley could dish out, head and all.”

“Let me just say that Manny will come out smokin’ to win impressively to erase the stigma of his last fight against (Juan Manuel) Marquez.”

“Knockout?, Well we want that, but I tell you even if Manny fails putting Bradley to dreamland, the guy would in total mess when the fight ends,” he assured.

The fight is set at the MGM Grand Arena this Saturday (June 10 Sunday in the Philippines).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Top 5 News